Wednesday 17 October 2012

Handmade, aprons, cardigans,and hexagons

Well I was too late to post on Handmade Monday, although I did manage to take a peek at all the handmade gorgeous makes from some very talented people. Please take a look, you'll be glad you did!


I put the stripey fabric I bought at the vintage fair to good use as two large pockets on  a child's apron.


child's apron

The apron is reversible, with the flower pattern  repeated all over on the other side.
reverse side of apron

I really enjoyed making this and have already got a request for an apron with rainbows and cars on!  So I am now on another fabric hunt.

Since I included photos of seasonal apples last week, here is a  recipe for "apple crisp" a long time favourite from an old La Leche league cookbook titled "Whole foods for the Whole Family"

6 to 8 apples sliced
1/2 cup of raisins (optional)
1/3 cup of water
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup butter or oil
1/2 cup brown sugar or honey
2 tablespoons of cinnamon

Put sliced apples in buttered 9 x 13 " baking pan, or oven proof dish. Sprinkle with raisins and water Combine the rest of the ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over the apples. Bake at 350 degrees electric, or 180 gas oven, for 30 to 40 minutes, until apples are soft,  and topping is golden brown. Sere hot or cold. Delicious with ice-cream, cream, yogurt, or custard or on its own. Keeps for a couple of days in the fridge.


I finished the bright pink cardie,
and was quite pleased with the result. I added a fabric rectangle on the inside back, including a handmade with love label from Mollie Makes, then machine stitched the name. I always seem to do more knitting in the Winter.
I feel another cardie coming on, or at least a pair of fingerless mittens!
Finished cardie


I visited another exhibition at the Harris Museum and Art gallery in town, where a textile display consisting of hexagons was pieced together using fabric of importance to the maker. This was done to join in celebrations for The Preston Guild, held once every 20 years.
Pieced Hexagons
Celebrating Preston Guild

I took  the above two photos in a slightly  darkened room, on my mobile,  where  the piece was behind glass,  hence the slightly yellow appearence.

I am thinking of making a hexi cushion for the shed.
It will be delivered during the first week of November, and I am so looking forward to "doing it up". I shall be sat inside it on the first night with an oil lamp, deckchair and glass of bubbly to celebrate.. or cup of coffee and cake depending on the weather!  But that's for another post.

Thank you for reading this, I appreciate your comments, and hello to fellow followers!

2 comments:

  1. Great makes! You HAVE been busy!!!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will just have to put my feet up with a good book,I just found The Decorated Journal by Gwen Diehn. Coffee and scone time!

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments!